Rab/Kay Fuzztone (Wah Conversion) Circuit Board

Posted: 2010/07/15 in "Rab Fuzz"/ Kay Fuzztone Clone, DIY Guitar Effect Pedal Projects

Basing this project around a Dunlop Crybaby Wah enclosure, I designed a circuit board to be a direct drop-in replacement for the wah circuit board.  Unlike the wah, the Fuzztone needs true bypass, so I built the bypass onto the board using a relay, and this way the same switch from the old wah can be used.  All that’s required for assembly is to connect the circuit board as before and to disconnect two wires from the switch.  That’s it! Of course LEDs are not required, but are fun to add, too…

Here you can see the wah circuit board on the left, and the replacement board on the right.

(The two orange wires are part of a mod to the original circuit – they connect to a pot that acts as an extra tonal control over the fuzz distortion.)



    Could you tell me what kind of relay it is needed?

    Thank you very much

    • trabantland says:

      Hi Jose, the relay is a Fujitsu/Takamisawa RY12W-K. (It’s the same relay used in the GCX switcher.)

  2. Erik says:

    do you sell these circuit boards? or do you do mods?

    • trabantland says:

      Erik I sell completed circuit boards which you can drop into a Crybaby wah yourself, but I will also build custom pedals from scratch. Best Regards,

  3. Juan alberto says:

    Hey can i order you one of these? Cheers.

  4. behrooz says:

    Great work you do here mate!

    I have a question regarding the rehousing: Ive basically never done something to this extent before. I have an original Kay Fuzz and would like to rehouse it into my Dunlop Wah. From what I understand in your article, Im all set and wont require any additional parts? What about hooking up the kay fuzz afterwards?

    All help apprrciated, thank you!

    • trabantland says:

      Thanks Behrooz- It’s pretty easy to move the original circuit into a Dunlop case. What you will want to do is to get is a new footswitch (3PDT if you want an indicator LED and DPDT if you don’t). DPDT is better in a way, because you can use a Carling DPDT switch with the same dimensions as the SPDT switch found inside a Dunlop wah. With most 3PDT switches (i.e. the commonly used “Taiwan Blue”) you’ll have to step down extra hard on the wah to turn it on. IMO this is not a huge deal, however. An extra thick felt pad under the foot pedal can help adjust this. You’ll also have to check if the original pot mounts in the Dunlop. It not, then just get a Dunlop Hotzpotz 100k instead. (The original is 50k but it doesn’t make a big difference.) Dave

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s